Through their expertise and experience our people enable us to operate our facilities safely, effectively and efficiently and contribute to the achievement of our goals and objectives.
We have a comprehensive approach to managing our people and we are committed to addressing inequalities in the workplace. We invest substantially in employee training and development. Our culture is inclusive and we value diversity. Our people operate within a clearly defined governance framework and must adhere to the group’s code of conduct and business ethics policy.
|Number of employees||Number||6 678||6 663|
|Graduate development programme graduates||men||11||12|
|Employee development investment||R million||53.3||48.1|
|HIV counselling and testing*||%||59||80|
|* Offered annually|
|Wages and salaries paid||R billion||3.1||2.8|
|Lost-time injury frequency rate||Rate||0.48||0.89|
|Managers attending leadership training||Number||109||127|
|Graduate development programme graduates employed||Number||26||20|
How we achieved our outcomes
- We continued with our self-audits on risk-control standards including health and safety which are then subject to peer audit.
- Provided bursaries for studies in engineering, science and accounting which are critical disciplines for the success of our business
- Further invested in our training and development programmes
- Introduced annual group talent management reviews
- Appointed highly experienced managers to improve procurement and information management
Trade-offs in our use of human capital
The installation of aluminium beverage can lines which produce more cans per minute than tinplate lines will result in a reduction in the number of manufacturing plants with a consequent reduction in employee numbers. This had a negative impact on human capital. However, our financial capital was positively impacted as the business has become more cost-effective, as demanded by our customers.
Training and developing our employees
We recognise the importance that leaders can have in maintaining our competitive edge in the market place. The Nampak graduate development programme is one of the ways that we grow our own talent. This programme is aimed at building capacity for our future managers and leaders.